At lunch today I glanced over and saw the paper and learned of the recent tragedy in Haiti ... I can´t even describe how upsetting it is to see a country that I love in total chaos right now ... I read that the General Hospital has collapsed and my heart is so sad right now --- the hospital housed many of the kids I worked with when I was down there ... I´m hoping that the work we were doing to get some of them out of there was successful .... Ferdinand is there, well let´s hope was there and is out in one of the orphanages outside of Port-Au-Prince now ... If you don´t know, Ferdinand is my little hero and was my motivation to finish PT school when I so wanted quit ... I carry his picture with me most of the time in my wallet ... I´m sure he has given me more help than I ever provided for him in the short time I was there. i was going to post a link to some pictures but i can´t quite figure that out in spanish ... heck, knowing me i wouldn´t be able to figure it out in english !
So now that I´ve caught up on my Haiti news I guess it´s time to provide some news of my own ...
I don´t really have much to say in comparison! This weekend I´ll go to Volcano Pacaya either with my host family (the dad) and another student that used to live with them that is here now or with a tour group ... so that´s pretty exciting. My sister´s friend is also here in Antigua - somewhere ! we haven´t connected yet but hopefully we´ll be able to bump in to each other sooner or later ...
school is going well ... i can´t believe it´s already been 4 days or 20 hours ! i asked my teacher if i need to take more hours per day next week but she thinks that more than 5 is almost too much ... so hopefully i´m ready for the next school ... but i guess if not they´ll just have to but me in the remedial classes ! although i must say i just helped some guy figure out what time this cafe closes - it´s a start i guess !
the family i stay with is so great ... the dad eats lunch with me every day and the mother eats dinner with me ... jose and louisa (sp?) come and go as they wish - they are easier to understand ! well jose only says pelota, agua, mama and papa ... but he gives the best little kisses ! louisa did my hair last night --- muy bonita she says ! ... it was fun ... the kids also know i always have cookies and chocolates for them so i get swarmed when i get home from wandering around town ....
speaking of wandering the town ... so i´ve kind of started to recognize my surroundings ... there are rules that there can´t be large signs for anything and there aren´t really high rises or anything so it took some getting used to ... fortunately the volcano to the south (agua) doesn´t move so i can use that to straighten myself out ! i must say i´m sure there other great places in guatemala and i hope to see more of them soon but you all should put Antigua on your to visit list - it seems to be a great base for trips to the rest of this area of guatemala
Thursday, January 14, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment